Multipurpose Fluffy White CakeBurnbrae Farms
Use this versatile cake as the base for frosted sheet cakes, strawberry shortcake, trifles and much more!
- Prep time: 15 min
- Makes: 60 cake squares (2-inch/5 cm)
- Cook time: 40 min
- Calories 150
- Fat 7 g
- Saturated Fat 4 g
- Cholesterol 15 mg
- Carbohydrate 21 g
- Fiber 0 g
- Sugars 11 g
- Protein 2 g
- Sodium 120 mg
- Potassium* 45 mg
*Some ingredients used in the analysis do not provide potassium information, so the potassium mg per serving may be undervalued.
- 1 1/2 cups / 375 mL Burnbrae Farms Liquid Egg Whites, well shaken
- Burnbrae Farms Liquid Egg Whites, well shaken
- 3 cups / 600 g granulated sugar, divided
- granulated sugar, divided
- 2 cups / 500 g softened unsalted butter
- softened unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp / 15 mL vanilla extract
- vanilla extract
- 6 cups / 800 g cake and pastry flour
- cake and pastry flour
- 2 tbsp / 30 mL baking powder
- baking powder
- 2 tsp / 10 mL salt
- 2 1/2 cups / 625 mL milk
- Grease and line a standard hotel pan (20 x 12 x 2-inch/8 L) with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Whip egg whites just until soft peaks form; beating constantly, gradually beat in 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar just until stiff. Set aside.
- Beat butter with remaining sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture, alternating with milk in 3 additions. Fold in whipped egg whites until uniformly combined. Spread evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a tester comes out clean and cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool completely in pan.
- Cake will hold for 2 days at room temperature. Wrap well and freeze for longer storage.
- Adapt the flavour by adding other accents such as almond extract, grated orange or lemon zest.
Keep your inbox full by signing up for our mailing list.