Spanish Scramble SkilletsBurnbrae Farms
This unique Latin-inspired twist on fried rice with eggs makes for a hearty entrée.
- Prep time: 5 min
- Makes: 1 serving
- Cook time: 5 min
- Calories 520
- Fat 27 g
- Saturated Fat 5 g
- Cholesterol 105 mg
- Carbohydrate 47 g
- Fiber 2 g
- Sugars 4 g
- Protein 21 g
- Sodium 960 mg
- Potassium* 220 mg
*Some ingredients used in the analysis do not provide potassium information, so the potassium mg per serving may be undervalued.
- 1 tbsp / 15 mL olive oil, divided
- olive oil, divided
- 2 oz / 60 g diced Spanish chorizo
- diced Spanish chorizo
- 1 cup / 210 g Spanish Rice /see Advanced Preparation below/
- Spanish Rice /see Advanced Preparation below/
- 1 tbsp / 15 mL chicken broth /approx./
- chicken broth /approx./
- 2/3 cup / 150 g Burnbrae Farms Liquid Whole Eggs, well shaken
- Burnbrae Farms Liquid Whole Eggs, well shaken
- Garnish Chopped tomatoes, diced roasted red peppers and chopped fresh parsley
- Chopped tomatoes, diced roasted red peppers and chopped fresh parsley
- Heat half the oil small cast iron skillet set over medium-low heat; add chorizo and sauté until golden. Transfer to bowl; hold warm. Add rice to same skillet with a splash of chicken broth to moisten and reheat gently.
- Meanwhile, scramble eggs in a separate small skillet until softly set.
- Pile scrambled eggs onto rice. Scatter chorizo, tomatoes, roasted peppers and parsley over top.
- If small skillets for serving are unavailable, transfer warm rice, scrambled eggs and garnishes to a serving bowl instead.
- For a gourmet touch, top bowls with cooked shrimp and/or baby peas.
- Add crumbled feta for a pop of colour and tang.
- 1/4 cup / 50 mL
- olive or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups / 375 mL
- each diced onion and red peppers
- 3 cups / 750 mL
- parboiled long grain rice
- 4 tsp / 20 mL
- each minced garlic and smoked paprika
- 5 1/2 cups / 1.125 L
- chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Warm oil in a Dutch oven with a tight fitting lid; add onion and peppers and sauté for 2 minutes. Add rice, garlic and paprika; stir for 1 minute or until well coated. Pour in broth. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and transfer to oven. Bake for 25 minutes or until liquids have been absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork. Taste and adjust salt as needed. Spread out on a tray to cool quickly. Makes 10 cups (2.5 L) or 10 portions.
Keep your inbox full by signing up for our mailing list.