Thai-style Crispy Fried Egg Green Curry BowlBurnbrae Farms
A crispy fried egg, sitting in a nest of rice noodles with coconut scented green curry broth, pulled chicken and vegetables. The ultimate comfort food!
- Prep time: 15 min
- Makes: 4
- Cook time: 25 min
- Calories 610
- Fat 36 g
- Saturated Fat 16 g
- Cholesterol 260 mg
- Carbohydrate 39 g
- Fiber 4 g
- Sugars 9 g
- Protein 30 g
- Sodium 1310 mg
*Some ingredients used in the analysis do not provide potassium information, so the potassium mg per serving may be undervalued.
- 4 Burnbrae Farms Shell Eggs
- Burnbrae Farms Shell Eggs
- 2 Cups (500 ml) Canola Oil, for frying, divided
- Canola Oil, for frying, divided
- 1 lb. (450 g) Chicken Thighs, boneless, skinless, excess fat removed
- Chicken Thighs, boneless, skinless, excess fat removed
- 4 oz. (115 g) Rice Noodles (vermicelli or flat)
- Rice Noodles (vermicelli or flat)
- 14 oz. (400 ml) Coconut Milk
- Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup (250 ml) Chicken Stock or Broth
- Chicken Stock or Broth
- 4 Tbsp. (60 ml) Green Curry Paste
- Green Curry Paste
- 1 (400 g) large Carrot, peeled and sliced on the diagonal
- large Carrot, peeled and sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 lb. (225 g) Snow Peas, thread removed, and cut in half diagonally
- Snow Peas, thread removed, and cut in half diagonally
- ½ lb. (225 g) Cremini Mushroom, rubbed clean, trim stem and cut in half fresh Cilantro and Thai Basil sprigs, washed, dried and leaves picked
- Cremini Mushroom, rubbed clean, trim stem and cut in half fresh Cilantro and Thai Basil sprigs, washed, dried and leaves picked
- 2 Limes, quartered
- Limes, quartered
- Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. (15 ml) Fish sauce, to taste
- Fish sauce, to taste
- ¼ Cup (7 g) Puffed Rice cereal (optional)
- Puffed Rice cereal (optional)
- Soup: wash and prepare vegetables and herbs and set aside. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Heat a medium pot or Dutch oven and add 1 Tbsp. oil. Sear chicken until evenly browned on all sides, and remove from pan. Add 1 Tbsp. oil, and Green Curry Paste and fry until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add coconut milk and broth, and fish sauce (or salt) and pepper to taste and bring to a boil. Add Chicken and carrots and simmer covered for 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms, snow peas and juice of one lime, and simmer a further 4 minutes. Remove chicken, ensure it is cooked through, and shred into large 1” (2 cm) pieces. Adjust seasoning of the broth with fish sauce or salt and additional lime if needed. Set soup aside to keep warm and bring to a boil right before serving.
- Noodles: As chicken cooks, prepare the rice noodles. Cooking and soaking time depends on the thickness of the noodle. In a shallow bowl, soak the rice noodles with warm water for approximately 10 minutes until opaque and loosen with your hands. Have a pot of boiling water and a strainer ready. Right before assembly, drop the soaked noodles in the boiling water. 30 seconds for vermicelli and 2 minutes for wider flat noodles. Immediately drain and run under cool water. Shape into nests right away while not sticky.
- Egg: Cook at the very last minute before serving. In a heavy bottom frying pan, cover approx. 1 inch (2.5cm) oil and heat to medium. Crack each egg individually into a ramekin or small dish and carefully slide into the hot oil. Have a lid or cover ready if oil sputters (reduce heat). Carefully spoon some of the hot oil from the pan around the top of the whites, avoiding the yolk, cooking until edges are browned and crisp and whites are opaque, approximately 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the cooked eggs to a plate lined with paper towel, being careful not to break the yolk.
- To Assemble: In a wide shallow soup bowl, divide rice noodles, and shape like a nest in the center. Ladle the just boiled green curry broth around the noodles carefully so they are not fully covered, and divide chicken and vegetables. Carefully place fried egg on top of the noodles and sprinkle with cilantro and Thai basil leaves, puffed rice cereal. Serve with additional lime wedge.
Keep your inbox full by signing up for our mailing list.