Zabaglione with Vanilla Roasted Strawberries
This classic Italian foam custard is not too sweet and an elegant way to finish a meal.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Makes: 10 servings
- Cook time: 40 min
- Calories 244
- Fat 14 g
- Saturated Fat 7 g
- Cholesterol 205 mg
- Carbohydrates 24 g
- Fibre 2 g
- Sugars 20 g
- Protein 3 g
- Sodium 76 mg
- Potassium* 200 mg
*Some ingredients used in the analysis do not provide potassium information, so the potassium mg per serving may be undervalued.
- 2 lb / 1 kg
- strawberries, halved (or quartered if large)
- 2 tbsp / 30 ml
- each maple syrup and lemon juice
- 1 tbsp / 15 ml
- vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup / 150 ml
- Burnbrae Farms Sugared Egg Yolks
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml
- granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml
- Marsala wine
- 1 tsp / 5 ml
- finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp / 1 ml
- 1 cup / 250 ml
- 35% whipping cream, whipped
- Biscotti (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Toss strawberries with maple syrup and lemon juice. Spread in roasting pan. Roast for 30 minutes or until juices are released and syrupy. Stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature. Makes 3 cups (750 mL).
- Zabaglione: Meanwhile, combine egg yolks with sugar, Marsala, lemon zest and salt in a glass bowl; set bowl over a pot filled with 1-inch (2.5 cm) barely simmering water. Beat with a handheld mixer for 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture forms ribbons on the surface when beaters are lifted.
- Remove from heat. Set bowl in a larger bowl of ice water to cool quickly. Once cool, use a whisk to fold in whipped cream.
- To assemble: Divide strawberries between 8 oz (250 mL) glass, serving dishes. Spoon zabaglione over berries. Serve immediately garnished with biscotti or refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- To make the perfect portion for the mini dessert trend, divide the strawberries and zabaglione between 20 half-pint decorative glass jars. Just cap and chill until ready to serve.
- Use vanilla bean paste instead of extract in the strawberries.
- Replace Marsala with dark rum, amaretto or another favourite liqueur or spirit.
- Replace roasted strawberries with lightly sweetened fresh sliced strawberries or other seasonal berries or fruit.